Feliz Navidad! Maya Monthly Christmas 2016
Dear Friends of the Maya,
For over 30 years you have offered scholarships to young men and women from six Maya villages so that they could fulfill their dreams of getting a better education.
This year more than 110 young people are involved in our Beca (scholarship) program. They all do service work in their local communities.
I have just read the letters which they have written thanking you. I am filled with hope for their future and am overwhelmed with gratitude to you and to them for making this program a great success.
I will try to share their stories with you. Don’t worry, I won’t send all of their letters. I have selected portions of their letters so that you can get some sense of who they are and how important your help has been.
- I’m Irving from Noc-ac. I’m l8 and am finishing high school. I hope to study Marine Biology.
- I’m Leider from Komchen. If it wasn’t for your help I would never be able to complete my studies.
- I’m Paola from Sierra Papacal. I’m in the Tecnological University in Merida studying gastronomy. I hope to start a restaurant! Please never stop helping us.
Some of these “kids” have overcome very difficult situations:
- My sister and I live alone with my Mother in Cosgaya. I am thanking you for her. Mom and Dad are separated. He never helps us.
- I’m from Noc-ac. We would like to present ourselves as a happy family. The truth is we are not.
- I am l7 years old and from Sierra Papacal. Our family is big. I have 12 brothers and sisters.
- I’m from Dzitya. Because of your help, my father doesn’t need to worry about paying more expenses. I have 9 brothers and sisters. I don’t know how my parents have managed. If it was not for their help and your help I would not be able to continue.
We ask each of our young people to do Service work in their Community. The name of our Program in Mexico is Ayudar es Compartir. To Help is to Share. Our hope is that our young people will not only receive help from you but will learn to share their gifts with others. So far so good!
- Dianelly Noemi from Komchen: I help kids who are deficient in math and Spanish. I really enjoy doing this and hope that one day they will be able to help others.
- Kimberly from Cosgaya: I help a group of women from our village called Servidores de Sister Terry in memory of a great person who lived to help others We visit the sick and people who are very poor. Like Sr Terry we smile a lot.
- Joseph from Komchen wants to be a chef. He shares recipes with adults and youth, teaching them to make desserts like carrot cake, pies, donuts and fruit pies.
- Jose Felipe plays ping pong with the youngsters. He adds: this isn’t just a couple of hours and nothing else. These are hours when the kids feel really good about themselves and can learn something they never dreamed possible.
- Damian helps his village of Dzitya by producing a Radio Program each week which informs everyone about upcoming events in the village.
Wilberth Isaias Chi Sonda from Sierra Papacal, concludes his letter this way:
- If it wasn’t for the beca which I receive, I would not be studying. I would never have decided to study at all. Thanks to you I have learned to be a better person . I have learned to work in a team and have many friends. I know that I am not alone and that there are people who are concerned about us and our community. There are people who want all of us to have a better future.
To all our dear friends of the Maya: You have made this year special for me and for these young people. We wish you a Blessed Christmas because you have shown us what Christmas is all about.
May God Bless You.